Thursday, June 20, 2013

A Plug for "Sky Sailing"

I like music that makes me feel weird. There's really no other way to describe it....it's kind of a calm melancholy feeling that certain kinds of music triggers (Thomas Newman's movie soundtracks often create that feeling too). Recently, I've gotten back into Owl City, and some of their music definitely falls into that category. Whenever I start a "phase" like this I look up all sorts of background on the artists or actors or whatever it may be. While looking up Adam Young , I discovered that he created an acoustic album under the name "Sky Sailing" before forming Owl City. I really liked what I heard: it's a typical acoustic guitar sound but with a sort of Owl City-ish twist--especially the lyrics--combined with Adam Young's breathy singing voice. Happily, as I said, the lyrics are the same sort of thing as Owl City ("I'm asleep and weird things are happening to me!" as one friend has put it) but there's a sort of tweak that sets it apart from Owl City in a good way. It all sort of sounds the same, but if you're going to make everything sound the same, this is a good sound to do that with. This is really chill music to listen to while walking around on a summer day or evening. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment